NBK is run and supported through two Committees including: the Committee of Management (COM) and the Parent Committee. Members of these Committees are voted in at the Annual General Meeting (generally held in November) from the association’s membership. Members can include parents/ guardians or any individual who has applied to be a member.
Participation on the COM and/or Parent Committee offers an excellent opportunity to become involved in the operation of NBK and to meet other parents. It is also essential to maintaining the current NBK ‘community feel’ and for reducing the costs of running the kindergarten. If a Committee of Management can’t be elected, the kindergarten would need to move a different management model – generally ‘cluster management’ – whereby the management of the kindergarten is outsourced to a centralised organisation, potentially resulting in increased costs.
Position descriptions are in the Committee Policy in the orange Policy and Procedures Manual and are mailed out before the AGM.
If you have any suggestions or concerns regarding NBK’s management, please feel free to contact the President.
Committee of Management
As an incorporated association the COM manages the business and affairs of the association. The main functions are:
- To manage the Kindergarten by maintaining its financial viability, ensure compliance with all applicable regulations and to monitor all aspects of the running of the Kindergarten; and
- As an employer, be responsible for employing suitably qualified and experienced staff and supporting those staff wherever possible in offering a creative and stimulating program.
The COM’s membership includes:
- The Executive
- Vice President*
- and up to 6 General Members
The COM uses the services of an external Bookkeeper and employs an internal part time Administrative Officer and HR Officer to support the above positions, which alleviates much of the workload both for the committee and teachers.
The Parent Committee is the principle meeting point for the kindergarten community. Its roles vary, with the main focus of guiding and inform fundraising and social events, and working bees. The Committee is an important forum for discussing significant issues facing the kindergarten.
Each member takes on a role that supports the running of the association and its programs. Sharing a large number of smaller roles keeps the administrative costs down for the kindergarten and shares the load amongst all volunteers.
As the Parent Committee is not defined in the Rules, its composition can continue to evolve depending on the range of skills available and number of volunteers.
The roles can include:
- Banking Officer
- Fundraising officers* (ideally at least a 2 people)
- Grants Officer
- IT Liaison*
- Human resources officer
- Legal Officer
- Mail Secretary
- Maintenance Officer* (ideally 2 people)
- Newsletter & communications Editor*
- OH&S (Occupational Health and Safety) Officer
- Parent survey officer*
- Purchasing Officer
- Website officer
- 3 yo Enrolment Secretary* (can be 3 and 4 year old combined)
- 4 yo Enrolment Secretary* (can be 3 and 4 year old combined)
- Year level Parent Representatives* (ideally at least two from each 3 and each 4 year old group)